Thursday, November 18, 2010

Playdoh, Spaghetti, Cereal, Buttons, Straws....Oh My!

While cleaning out the pantry, I was keeping an eye out for items that we could use for learning experiences.  Low and behold, I found some stale cereal which had holes in the middle.  Perfect for stringing.  Then I saw the box of spaghetti noodles and thought that might be fun to use those in place of yarn for stringing.  So.....we took a small cup, stuffed some playdoh in the bottom of it and carefully pushed the uncooked spaghetti into it.  I gave T a cup of the cereal and he got to work putting it on the pasta.  He saved the straws and buttons for the last to make a "helicopter".  R, again choose to eat the cereal and just string the straws and buttons. You could use any type of cereal with a hole in the middle, Cheerios, Joe's O's, whatever you find really.  This was a really fun, creative fine motor skill activity! 







Pin It

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fun activity! Although I think my little one would break the spaghetti before we'd even get started!

Time For Play said...

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for stopping by. My son kept breaking the pasta too. That was part of the learning process. It took him a couple times trying to realize just how gentle he needed to be. Give it a try!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous game - brilliant for motor skills and creativity combined. I'll definitely be doing this very soon! Thanks for sharing.

MJM.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a great idea, my toddler would eat the cereal too, I am positive :)

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

I love that the photos show how much they were concentrating! I think L would really like to try this. Thanks for sharing with us at the Play Academy.

RedTedArt said...

Ooh looks fun! Allthe different shapes and how the fit together!

Would love you stop by at Kid Get Crafty over at Red Ted Art(new linky up every Wednesday - current linky - http://www.redtedart.com/2010/11/24/kids-get-crafty-only-dads-sock-monsters-nice-ones/)

Maggy