Monday, February 7, 2011

Melt My Heart Crayons

We make scribble cookie crayons all time with our broken crayon pieces.  I usually put them in the oven to melt inside a small muffin tin that I have just for that purpose.  The kids favorite part of this experience is watching them melt.  So I thought, why not let them watch it up close.  We peeled and broke the crayons into little pieces and put them into a old, heart shaped candy making tray.  Then I heated up the skillet and placed the tray on top of it.  The whole melting process took about 5 minutes.  It was really exciting for the kids to watch the colors blend and discover what new colors they had created by mixing the different colors.  I took them off the tray and let them harden.  They just popped right out once they are done.  Now they have some fun, heart-shaped crayons to create with.


Pin It

3 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

I have seen tons of crayons being made in the blogging world, but I love that you had them watch them melt. I have a warmer and may try it! great idea! Kerri

Kelli said...

What temp did you put the skillet on? High or low? Love the idea of letting them watch

Time For Play said...

We had the skillet on high. Thanks for stopping by. They ask to do this all the time. In fact, I'm certain they break their crayons on purpose just so we can make more!